Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Early Bird Gets The Wormand Nothing Else

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

It's Sunday night, and for some reason my thoughts are turning to my dearly departed dad, who becomes more of an inspiration with each passing year.

He was a career salesperson, and he also ran radio stations and produced TV, and he was, like many who sell, an avid storyteller.

One of his tales harkens back to the time he was invited by his company, headquartered in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, to address a national meeting of the sales team, of which he was the star.

With a gleam in his eye, he said:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if I've learned anything about selling, it's this: The early bird gets the worm—but nothing else!"

Instantly, gasps could be heard in the large room. What did he mean? In a second, he explained this cryptic opener:

"I don't wake up early and see a lot of prospects in the morning. I sleep late, have a nice, big breakfast, make a phone call or two, and possibly see a prospect or two a day. That's how I like to do it, and that's the secret of my success. I sell when I feel like selling, and I don't bother if I don't feel like it!"

Then, he sat down.

Stark silence ensued, and then to the dismay of management, raucous applause followed.

His words were a hit with his sales colleagues, but were not appreciated at all by the brass.

What else is new?

I share this story with you to note that nonconformists are attracted to sales work, and you can't really control what they say or do.

If you're smart, you'll stay out of their way and let them make you money.

And if you're dumb, you'll ask them to be keynote speakers at your sales meetings!

Dr. Gary S. Goodman, President of www.Customersatisfaction.com, is a popular keynote speaker, management consultant, and seminar leader and the best-selling author of 12 books, including Reach Out & Sell Someone® and Monitoring, Measuring & Managing Customer Service. He is a frequent guest on radio and television, worldwide. A Ph.D. from USC's Annenberg School, Gary offers programs through UCLA Extension and numerous universities, trade associations, and other organizations in the United States and abroad. He is headquartered in Glendale, California, and he can be reached at (818) 243-7338 or at: gary@customersatisfaction.com

No comments: